The Phaneromeni School, also referred to as the Phaneromeni Gymnasium, was founded in 1859, the cost of construction being met by the nearby Phaneromeni church. It was originally a school for girls under the supervision of a single teacher, under the name of the "Mutual Teaching School". The name was changed in 1860 to the "Phaneromeni Girl's School".
In 1924, a new modern building in a neoclassical style was erected in place of the old one. The architect for this project was Theodoros Fotiades (1878-1952), who also designed the Pancyprian Gymnasium, and was responsible for many buildings throughout Cyprus. His design for the school was imposing and symmetrical, with pedimented gables at each end of the principal facade, and Ionic portico in the centre.
The school, however, burnt down in 1926, and after repair, was reopened in 1933 as the "Phaneromeni Gymnasium"
Renovation was finally completed in 2001-2, and the school now includes a kindergarten, elementary and secondary schools
See the location in Google maps
Back to South Nicosia Index