|The Chimney House|
The Chimney House, also known as the Somineli Ev, can be found about 100 yards from the twin churches.
It is also known as the Venetian house, and although its exterior is Venetian, its interior is Ottoman, making it a bit of a hybrid, and nothing is knowwn of its history.
It was restored to use as a museum between 1949 and 1951, and was a temporary housing for pottery found during excavations in Famagusta.
In 1957, an internal staircase was built, and in 1959, lighting was installed. Although well preserved, these alterations have meant that little remains of the Venetian and Ottoman domestic architecture.
The Chimney House is frequently used for exhibitions of one sort or another.
See the location on Google maps.
Back to Famagusta index.